A 4th level Gamer Chick's Tome of Knowledge

This is just my little piece of the internet feel free to peruse... I'll update when I can about game, school, plans, and anything people pester me about... #2

Name:
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States

I'm a freshman at the University of Wyoming majoring in anthropology and minoring in German and geology. I'm currently playing in a V:tM game Friday nights and trying to work in Kalamar when I can.

Friday, May 16, 2008

movie reviews...

With the number of movies I've seen in the last couple of weeks I suddenly found myself inspired to share my thoughts and feelings (I'm sure the Iron Man mania has nothing to do with it... >.>...)

Forbidden Kingdom: 3 views
Jet Li
Jackie Chan

Need I say more, really? This movie was a brilliantly formed martial arts movie utilizing two of the best talents of our day. Additionally, it also integrates discussion of philosophy that is worked seamlessly into the story and stated simply enough for even the most uneducated viewer. From beginning to end this was a roller coaster ride of fun and kung fu.

Iron Man: 1 view
Robert Downey jr.
Terrence Howard
Jeff Bridges
Gwyneth Paltrow

*shrugs* From my brief experience with Iron Man and *exasperated sigh* everything I was forced to hear about it, this was a great and accurate adaptation of the original comic. Personally, I almost didn't see it due to the rampant fanboy-ism and I still find myself upset that any chance I had of truly enjoying it was ruined by the people who just wouldn't shut up about it.

That being said. Yes, it was a good movie, not the movie event of the century many of my local and not-so-local comic book obsessed friends claim, but it was a good movie. It has several good scenes and, from what I could tell, a well crafted soundtrack. It was fun and enjoyable to watch. Yes, there is a revelation after the credits. If you are a Marvel fanatic stick around. I don't think it's the geek-out revelation of the year, either, but hey... maybe it's just proof that I have more of a life than far too many of the people I hang out with out here, one of which saw the movie 5 times opening weekend and still hasn't shut up about it.

I do recommend this movie, especially to the comic-book inclined. Hope those of you who haven't seen it yet haven't had it ruined for you, either.

Speed Racer: 3 views
Emile Hirsch
Susan Sarandon
John Goodman
Christina Ricci

I can some up my opinions on this movie very simply. It is incredibly campy, horribly predictable, true to form, and a must see.

The Wachowski brothers managed to bring together a top-notch cast for this long-time children's classic and create a movie that was both a brilliantly constructed movie and a perfect homage to its namesake. Even knowing what was coming, I was on the edge of my seat throughout my entire first viewing of this movie. It is paced perfectly to tell you the whole story without giving you a chance to get bored. Additionally, many long or short time animé viewers will notice many classic animé visual styles cropping up again and again through out the film. As I said, a must see for all ages.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Amber said...

Hey, I think you should keep up the movie reviews. Especially if you'll do some movies *I* might be interested in. *grin*

05 June, 2008 18:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home